Did you know that back pain in pregnancy is common, but not necessarily normal? Getting adjusted by a chiropractor during pregnancy not only helps you feel better, it can also help you have an easier and shorter labor. It just makes sense – if your pelvis is aligned properly, baby has the maximum amount of room to come out. In general, we recommend being adjusted monthly from weeks 4 to 28, every 2 weeks from weeks 28 to 36, and weekly after that. Dr. Sarah is also trained in a specific chiropractic technique called Webster that can help encourage babies to turn head-down for birth.
Acupuncture in Pregnancy
Research has shown that acupuncture is safe during pregnancy and can provide relief from morning sickness and depression, among other things. Acupuncture can also help to induce labor.
Massage in Pregnancy
Massages while pregnant are heavenly! They help to relax tight muscles that result from carrying that belly around all day. They can help reduce stress to keep mama calm. Our massage therapist is experienced at working on pregnant mamas.
Supplements in Pregnancy
- Prenatal Vitamin – choose a high-quality one with few additives that your body can absorb well
- Fish Oil – it is especially important for a pregnant and breastfeeding woman to consume DHA (one of the omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil) because the developing baby is dependent on mom's nutrition! DHA is an essential fat—we must get it from diet or supplements, because our bodies don’t make it—and consuming enough DHA is critical for normal and healthy development of infant brain, eyes, and nervous system. Inadequate consumption of DHA during pregnancy has been linked to shortened gestational periods and premature delivery. Taking DHA has been shown to help prevent postpartum depression.
- Probiotics – taking probiotics in pregnancy has been shown to decrease asthma & allergies in baby
- The Pregnancy Book by Dr. Sears – if you only read one, make it this one!
- Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin - BEST book on birth
- Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way by Susan McCutcheon-Rosegg
- The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding by La Leche League International
- Sleeping with your Baby, a Parent's Guide to Cosleeping by James McKenna
- Pushed: The Painful Truth About Childbirth and Modern Maternity Care by Jennifer Block
- La Leche League of the Big Horn Basin - local mother-to-mother breastfeeding support
- Mothering.com – great discussion forums
- Kellymom.com – great breastfeeding info
- Diaperswappers.com – cloth diapering info